chaque jour

cook book, travelogue, project planner and adventure story

Name:
Location: Seattle, WA

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Hubris, take one

When my sister announced her engagement over a year ago, I agreed, in a fit of fillial affection, to design and build the bridesmaids' dresses. It seemed smart at the time, since two of the bridesmaids are living right here in my own house and since she asked while I was writing my Master's paper, I agreed immediately, if distractedly.

I sat on this project a long time, "researching," before I actually started drawing. But then this fall I saw a bit of magazine photography that provided just the spark I needed. The designs were complete in four hours, including color.

Then Christmas came and with it my 30-odd day working week, so I felt entitled to take January off. And in February I did a substantial home improvement project, and then in March I had to visit my parents and then they had to visit me, which means that now my sister is getting married in 5 weeks and I still have four bridesmaids' dresses to build.

Since I have just agreed to another backstage slog, I realized this weekend that I need to have the patterning and prototypes done by Wednesday. The first set of patterns and prototype for my dress resulted from this afternoon's frenzy. Phew! I make a point of knowing exactly how long I can wait before I really have to buckle down. And I love the satisfaction of working through a craft that I could do underwater, blindfolded with the energy of a deadline behind you.

I was so excited about my extraordinary skill (it comes back so quickly!) and the progress I was making that I decided to try the sample on right there in my office. Strip down, toss the frock over my shoulders, pin on the straps and...tug...oh dear...it doesn't seem to fit over my butt...*wince and frown*...maybe...No, it's wrong. Not just a little, by the time I ripped out the seams to make more room I had to add four inches.

It's going to be a long week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home