chaque jour

cook book, travelogue, project planner and adventure story

Name:
Location: Seattle, WA

Friday, January 27, 2006

I'm a stranger here myself
Over the years, my friends and I have joked about the trials of childrearing and the various frights we forsee as our children age: strangers, cars, boys, cars again (but in a different way), college tuition. But what is never discussed is the greatest threat, the one that no one can articulate. Which is why, after 13 years of always having an excellent reason for why or why not to do something, I find myself nose to nose with my daughter, all rationality cast aside, hoping like hell that she gets through this phase unscathed because I am no help.

The frustrating part is that I can't explain what frightens me. She has found a group of friends at her school, a far more worldly crowd than that to which she used to belong. Kids of the hair-dye and piercing set. She says they are helping her figure out "who she is," whatever that is. Here's the thing: I was friends with those kids when I was her age, too. And now we're all a little older and mostly still friends. So why do these children frighten me? My guess is that I see a hollow protest against conformity that ends up being its own conformity. Throw into the mix some poor decision-making concerned controlled substances and you have kids that seem to be a great waste. They aren't raging against the machine, their raging against the easiest target, the one that costs the least to maintain (my god, kids with a social policy that mirror's Bush's foreign policy). I have to guess that we were that shallow and tunnel-viewed at that age, too, but how did I learn otherwise? How can I show her?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great post. If your father was this thoughtful about his inner conflicts regarding child-rearing, then you must have had a pretty cool father.

It's hard to respond to this without peddling some unasked for advice. I will try not to. But with people who are not my progeny and who are usually quite a bit older than 13, I find some comfort in letting people make their own mistakes (mistakes which are just mistakes in the context of my life, not theirs) and let them let what they will learn accordingly. This is what I would want people to do for me.

Your post does leave something unanswered: against what are they raging? What is the "easiest target" you're referring to?

1:39 PM  
Blogger csg said...

The easiest target is the societal fabric that provides for them: their parents, teachers, AND their peers who don't ignore/condone their behavior.

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a quick thought.
Those were my friends in high school too. Truthfully, about half of them are now either a) stuck in dead-end service jobs, or b)dealing with drug addictions, petty crimes, and unwanted babies.

The other half of us went to college and got/are searching for careers that make us happy or otherwise found some measure of success in their lives.

I suspect the way a single person went depended VERY highly on the tools their parents gave them to deal with life before they reached their teen years, and I suspect also that you have given your daughter an incredible toolbox.

(But I fear this happening too with my own kids...not as much as I fear them falling in with the cheerleading/football crowd though.)

Another thought:
I can remember my mom telling me when I was a teenager that she had been a teenager too (in the late 60s/early 70s no less!)...she knew all the tricks I might be up to already.

Good luck with this. I don't envy teenagers these days.

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home