chaque jour

cook book, travelogue, project planner and adventure story

Name:
Location: Seattle, WA

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Treat me like a piece of meat
A photo journey through culinary love, loss, transformation and redemption

It all started back in October when Justin came to visit at which time we lamented the abundance of beautiful food here in the west, but the paucity of Barbeque Joint-like pork. I was reminded again at the end of November when recalling the swell pig-pickin' held in honor of my friends' birthdays a year previous.
And then the meat went on sale.

Who can know what, besides collegial homesickness, made me think I should buy a six pound shoulder roast, but there it was. So I took it home with me. A bit of research later, it looked like this:

And six hours later, with a little homemade sauce, it looked like this:


And when added with some cornbread and sweet potatoes, looked like this:



I was disappointed with the results however. The meat wasn't falling off the bone tender like I was dreaming it should. I resolved to try again. But in the mean time, what to do with multiple pounds of leftovers and a quart of sauce?

It turns out that the perfect use for imperfect barbeque is a pork pot pie made of leftover pulled pork, sweet potatoes and onions, with a little extra vinegar sauce cooked in. It is also the perfect foil for today, the 23rd rainy day in a row.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There must be some sort of recipe for oven "smoked" pork that approximates nc pulled pork... Keep trying!

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home