chaque jour

cook book, travelogue, project planner and adventure story

Name:
Location: Seattle, WA

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

In other news
We just wrapped up the first ever Celebrate Seattle dance festival here, which was an exciting opportunity to see some companies and choreographers that are otherwise left to others. Most of the festival was quite good, if a bit difficult for an audience used to tutus and tiaras. And even I have to admit, Merce Cunningham may be one of the most influential choreographers of the 20th century, but I just don't like the work. I try, but it reminds me of watching dancing brussels sprouts. However, there was excellent fun in having dancers from my mom's company in Oregon performing up here. Hooray for the mother/daughter wardrobe team.

Speaking of Brussels Sprouts (which I have eaten and eaten, but never liked), it is planting time here in the beautiful PNW. I have filled our yard waste bin (4x2x2) six times in as many weeks. It is amazing that two years fallow can erase five years of cultivating. This year I am getting on top of it early, before I get overwhelmed. I usually only grow salads, and this year there are lettuces, carrots, radishes, beets and herbs like normal. I am adding green beans and tomatoes (3 kinds), but also collards and dry beans for minestrone in the fall. There are finally enough strawberry plants to make something from (although who am I kidding, those get pinched while walking past strawberry plants on the way to the bus). If the squashes (zucchini, pattypan and pumpkin) come in, we'll eat very well this year. But my pride and joy are the three (count them!) tiny figs on my fig tree this spring.
I can't wait.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

Hey sweet-pea,

I wasn't sure if you got my email...I'm coming in at 11:19am on United 0261. I'll call you. If you're stuck at work or whatever, I'll just meet up with you Friday night. yay! I'm so excited to see you.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home