chaque jour

cook book, travelogue, project planner and adventure story

Name:
Location: Seattle, WA

Friday, April 13, 2007

Progress, albeit slow
I have to move out of the kitchen this evening. Time for the real demolition to begin. rtg tore out the upper cabinets two weeks ago and built and installed the new ones. So far, we have been dancing around each other as I cook and he builds, with only a few conflicts (in the future, all clean dishes should be put away before we start sanding: ick).
Here is a picture for layout:
And one for style:

So far, my job has been to pick stuff out, which compared to rtg's fine craft, seems a little lowly. Having a lot of style really pales in comparison to having some real skill.
Choosing materials and finishes is more complicated than I expected, however, mostly because there are more options than I realized, although most of them are crummy. After many dispiriting trips to the Enormous Hardware Store (both the orange and the blue one) and the Holy Crap Expensive kitchen boutiques, I found a (big!) apron front fireclay sink that we both like and this lovely faucet at a reasonable price. rtg found the only under the counter microwave available these days (what do people in apartments do?) and we decided on a dishwasher which we will not use. Finally, we came to a detente on the counters. Pretty, no? And paint, which I'll have to show you in a month when it is in place.

With all these details of construction rolling into our house, I knew that I'd have to move down to the auxiliary kitchen (which I am starting to call the scullery) sooner or later. rtg has to cut out the sink and rewire the north wall before he can install the cabinetry. So I have been cooking up a storm to try and get it out of my system. This week I bought a bottle of port for the first time and made pate. And it is pretty tasty. Unfortunately, rtg doesn't like liver and is a little squicked by the whole process. And She is in India for spring break. So there is no one but me here to share with; I'll have to eat it all by myself.
Pity.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that New Caledonia can be had for both your countertops and your webpage background.

11:19 PM  
Blogger csg said...

It's a multipurpose product.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

If there's some left at the end of the month, I'll give it a try. I'm a little grossed out by the thought of liver, too, but I'll be in Seattle so what the heck?

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mommy mommy mommy!

you made pate without me? :[ you'd better save me some. and since i'm only leaving in 6 hours, there better be some left for me. :]

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written article.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home