chaque jour

cook book, travelogue, project planner and adventure story

Name:
Location: Seattle, WA

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Perfecting the finest art of wasting hours

RTG gave me my first Jayhawks album for my 17th birthday. Actually, he gave me a homemade tape with Eric Clapton Unplugged on one side and a band called the Bluchunks on the other. Two weeks later he asked me how I liked it and I confessed that while Clapton was fine, I did not dig the Bluchunks at all. He demanded the tape back and then returned it to me with the Bluchunks gone and the Jayhawks in place.
I was in love.
So this weekend, when RTG and I went to see Mark Olson and Gary Louris play a little accoustic show, it was with a bit of twitter that we are old enough to see a re-formed former band (sort-of). Isn't this a little like when my folks go to see Peter, Paul, and Mary? Maybe, but as the evening unwound, the songs continually reminded me of places I've been and decisions I've made. She told us that the "Smile" album sounds like driving across the plains. And I'd say their six albums together sound like going home.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see how Eric Clapton is a contrast to the Bluchunks, but I can't see how you dislike the Bluchunks.

5:37 PM  
Blogger east side bride said...

Um, totally. When I was 17 I f'n loved the Bluchunks!

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home